One of my favorite part of teaching at UF is working with teaching assistants. MMC 2100 has 260 students that break into 13 labs. Seven teaching assistants and one adjunct will be teaching with me — five of whom are new to teaching.
We met yesterday to get ready for the start of classes on Monday. Lots of topics to discuss:
- Understanding the students who are in the course
- Effectively structuring the 3-hour lab
- Avoiding — or dealing with — discipline problems
- Establishing consistent grading policies across the labs
- Learning to use the video projection unit in the lab
- Scanning their UF ID cards to provide access into labs and their office
The day was productive and fun. We’re all looking forward to the start of classes — and feeling more prepared.